|Deutsch Ðóññêèé The Shukhov Tower Foundation|
Donate to Shukhov Tower Rescue!
Thank you for your donation!
14.03.2010 Norman Foster about Shukhov Tower in Moscow
29.12.2008 Project “Mosconstruct” 2008-2009
20.12.2008 Russian oil pipelines are 130 years old!
The upper trade lines (GUM) on the Red Square of Moscow have turned 115. The building of GUM is the architectural monument of the federal significance. The authors of the Upper trade lines are the Great architects Alexander Nikanorovich Pomerantsev and Vladimir Grigorievich Shukhov.
The three “European style” glass and metal spacious passages put into the traditional “Old Russian” walls became for the end of XIX century Russia an architectural phenomenon. The grandiose construction began in 1890 and was completed in three years. As documents of that time indicate, the length of the front facing the Red Square was 116 sazhen (sazhen – 2,13 meters) and of that facing the Vetoshnyi proezd – 122 sazhen.
In two levels along the three wide passes (passages) A.N. Pomerantsev placed the shops, the total number of which reached a thousand. The passages were covered with V.G. Shukhov’s metal-glass arch overhead covers, which required metal structures weighing 50 thousand pood (833 ton). Granite, marble and Radom sandstone were used in dressing the exterior of the building to reproduce numerous Old Russian decorative forms. The grand opening of the Upper trade lines with participation of the grand duke Sergey Aleksandrovich Romanov, Moscow Governor-General and the grand duchess Elizaveta Fyodorovna took place on December 14 (2 by old style), 1893.
The GUM (nowadays called the Main department store) is a whole trade quarter and a comfortable recreation zone with restaurants and cafes, an artistic gallery and a place of cultural events. The GUM internal space is being improved. The legendary Showroom traced in the history of domestic cinematograph has been restored. There is a project to carry out cultural events and society meetings in its original interiors. The GUM show-windows house artistic expositions and eye-catching presentations. The project of the renewed design supposes reorganization of the passages in the palazzo style: spectacular system of lighting, mosaic floor and natural plants.
03.12.2008 Monument to the Outstanding Russian Engineer, Inventor and Architect, Academician Vladimir Shukhov
> News of 2003 - 2017 years