|Deutsch Ðóññêèé The Shukhov Tower Foundation|
Donate to Shukhov Tower Rescue!
Thank you for your donation!
16.04.2014 New urban public space around Shukhov Tower
16.04.2014 Round table «Architectural future of the unique monumet of the egenering and architectural art — Shukhov Tower in Moscow»
18.03.2014 Free excursions to Shukhov Tower
15.03.2014 An open letter to President Vladimir Putin concerning the fate of the Shukhov Radio Tower on Shabolovka St. Moscow from the famous representatives of the international community
19.08.2013 Vladimir G. Shukhov in the XXI century
Anatoly Sedykh, Chairman of the board of the United Metallurgical Company (OMK in Russian acronym) held a field meting in the city of Vyksa, Nizhniy Novgorod region on the issues of preserving the objects of industrial-cultural heritage of Russia located on the territory of the Vyksa metallurgical works, which are part of the OMK. Such objects are the water tower and aisles of the sheet rolling workshop of the enterprise raised according to the projects of engineer Vladimir Shukhov at the end of XIX century.
The water tower, located on the territory of the Vyksa metallurgical works, was built according to Vladimir Shukhov’s project in 1898.
As the OMK press service informed, it was decided to begin the implementation of the project aimed at preservation of the monuments of Shukhov’s heritage in Vyksa. The top-priority measures include development of the package of design solutions and conduction of the emergency prevention activities. The next stage is the development and realization of the program on the restoration and reconstruction of the monuments. In the long view, it will enable to make excursions at the water tower and at the sheet rolling workshop for the guests visiting Vyksa.
During several years the United Metallurgical Company allocated more than 1.5 billion rubles on the reconstruction and maintenance of the Vyksa monuments of cultural and historical heritage which are under the guardianship of the state, told Aleksandr Kastravets, Director for public relations of the OMK. – We consider it vital to preserve structures of the Great Russian engineer and architect Vladimir Shukhov for future generations.
The water tower, located on the territory of the Vyksa metallurgical works, was built according to Vladimir Shukhov’s project in 1898. It was designed for supplying water to the enterprise. The 114 m3 water tank (did not survive) was installed at the height of 28.5 m on the steel foundation, while the total height of the structure was about 40 m. The tower trunk is formed from 50 inclined metal rods which are connected with each other by 20 horizontally located rings of different diameters. The diameter of the lower ring is 14.6 m and of the upper ring – 7.4 m. The originality of the towers design was that it emerged as an open-work hyperbolical surface built from separate rigid elements. In total, from 1896 till 1930 over 200 steel lattice hyperboloid towers were constructed according to Shukhov’s projects. Not more than 20 survived till our time.
The building of the sheet rolling workshop at the Vyksa works was also built according to the project of engineer Shukhov in 1897-1898 and today it is not used. It is the object of cultural heritage of state importance. The rectangular at foundation, the building is covered by five metal domes with double curvature without inner supports. The rigid cover is formed by the intersecting elements, over which the roof grillage is arranged.
> News of 2003 - 2017 years